Powered By Blogger

Saturday 19 November 2011

Arkham City and the Wait of Eternity: Woes of a PC Gamer

Today, we will be talking about two things very close to my heart, PC Gaming, and Batman, and while this is not a review per say, I feel it is relevant enough, and I am annoyed enough, to warrant the written word.


Now, just for some context on where I drop down on this matter. I was originally a console gamer, I would not know how to build my own computer, I am however, now, a hard line PC gamer, but do not confuse me for the bloodshot eyed PC Crusader you will find on Internet forums everywhere, slugging it out with equally zealous Console Fanatics. How this quite happened is by the by, but right now I am feeling rather punished for it.

As I'm sure anyone remotely vested into the progress of PC Arkham City, whether you have preordered it, or, as is seemingly the melodramatic trend, to cancel your preorder in protest, you are probably aware that Arkham City has been delayed across the board for another week from today (Nov 19th).

This has provoked considerably outrage both here and here, being the two principle rage-pits I've been exposed to. This has lead to the swirling of conspiracy theories about delays for profit, and delays for DLC to catch up, or to charge more for said DLC. One thing I will commit to is the fact that the Rocksteady staff have handled this horrifically, imposing some sort of virtual information blackout on their own servers.

There are even some quite troubling pictures on the former website, showing what appears to be a working version of the PC game, though I'm healthy skeptic about those, but if true, the implications are troubling.

A final sadistic twist of the knife came from a Steam/Rocksteady failure when, even though it was confirmed that it had all been delayed for a week, we UK fans looked at our steam library and saw "released 18th of November" and we waited until 6pm on the 18th, and when there was one hour left, at 5pm, they changed it to the 25th...Oh, it is like they are doing it on purpose.

I will not be canceling my preorder on steam though, for the sheer reason that I am a weak willed Batman fan who has been playing Arkham Asylum for the past few days and his convinced myself I will fall into coma if I don't play it, but to those of you doing so, I will not belittle you with pretentious "you are so childish/impatient/play other games/why so serious" comments, I am just going to be sad that once again the PC release schedule has been victim to unjust forces.


No comments:

Post a Comment